Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Decisions, decisions!

It has been a rough couple of days! I drove to Boise on Sunday and spent the evening with my dad. The weather was perfect! It was 78 degrees. We sat outside and chatted and, of course, we grilled. My dad made some fantastic spare ribs and baked (well, bar-b-qued, actually) potatoes. Deeeeelightful! I also discussed all my options/upgrades on my house with my dad and got his opinion since he knows a heck of a lot more about it all than I do! I am feeling very good about my choices! I am headed back to Salt Lake May 5 for house and mortgage meetings on May 6 and 7. My dad is going to meet me in Salt Lake and go to the meetings with me. I am so relieved that I will have someone there who has half a clue about what is going on. All my choices will be final on May 7th! And I will give them my construction deposit so hopefully they will get started on the construction shortly after that. I drove to Salem on Monday and it was just horrible traveling weather! Ok, so it could definitely have been worse, but I HATE traveling when it is sunny and hot...and there was record heat here in Oregon. It was only in the 80's, but it was enough to make traveling miserable. Thank heaven for air conditioners! My car was covered with bugs. I had to stop and wash my windshield in Pendelton because it was getting difficult to see! I did make it home though, and then I spilled water on my computer shortly after. Yes, my brand new laptop that I have only had for 3 months!!! It was like, seriously, one drop. But it was apparently enough to do some damage. It started acting funny shortly after the spillage, so I turned it off and decided to let it sit overnight. When I went to turn it on in the morning, it wouldn't even power up! I was so mad! Long story short, I took it to a computer repair place who kept it overnight and then told me it would cost $500 (!!!!!) to fix. Really?! Every cent for the next several months is going to house expenses. I surely cannot spend $500 to fix a brand new computer right now! So, I picked it up (and paid a $49 diagnosis fee) and prayed that I would be able to limp along with it until I can get it fixed. Well......I turned it on and voila!!! It works! YAH! All except the mouse on the computer. Which is no big deal really since I use an external mouse anyway. So, hopefully that is the only bad effect from the water. I am such an idiot!!! No more water or other liquids within 10 feet of my computer!! And, advice I was given after the fact, if you ever spill something on your computer, turn it off immediately and let it dry a day or two before trying to turn it back on again. I am headed back to work tomorrow for four in a row (ICK). But, I will be half done with all the shifts I have left here by next Thursday! Yah! I went to the Dr. while I was in Salt Lake and I am soooooo glad I did. I got things under control and am feeling so much better. Not getting headaches all the time and sleeping like a log! Hopefully that doesn't get all screwed up again when I go back to nights. Ugh. At least I only have a few more weeks of this crap schedule. Hopefully I will never have to work nights again!


I went to the design center on Saturday and picked out most of my carpet, cabinets, counters etc...I will finalize all of these choices at my meeting on May 6. Here are a few pictures.This will be the kitchen. Cabinets are knotty alder with cherry finish. The light wood is the flooring in the kitchen/entryway. Counter sample is on the left and carpet sample is on the right. I might change the carpet, although I really like this one. This is the bathroomn selection I like the best. Cabinets and carpet are the same. Linoleum has a bit of blue in it. I really like the counter but it is a bit dark...Bathroom again with a more neutral countertop. I don't like this one as much, but again, it's more neutral.

Close up of the bathroom counter I like best.

So...that's that for now. Things are going to be crazy the next few weeks while I am finishing up work and trying to get the rest of my stuff packed up all while going to Salt Lake again to finalize all my decisions and hopefully get construction started. But I can't wait to be back home again and move on with my life! Still no word from Westminster. Try not to be shocked!

AND!!!! I almost forgot (I'm not sure how! I'm totally excited!!) I got tickets to the U2 concert at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas on October 23!! Pretty good seats, I think. They ought to be for $118 a pop! I'm going with Marija and her boyfriend Daniel. I know it is going to be so much fun! Not to mention an amazing show!

3 comments:

Silvia said...

How exciting Shauna! You made awesome choices on flooring and cabinetry! Love them! And I'm so glad you'll be in town now so we can actually get together more often than once in a blue moon!

myspoileddogs said...

Congrats! That is so exciting. Lucky you get to build and make those choices!

I'm hating home ownership but I have to play landlord at the second house on my lot. Plus I hate yardwork! I'd probably like it a lot more if I actually got to choose the design for the house I lived in!

The Waldron Family said...

looks good. I can't wait to see the end product!

Followers